Dignity Care

Mail Us


Call Us

0161 820 0708

How Can I Get Government Help for Domiciliary Care?

Navigating the world of government assistance for domiciliary (home) care can feel overwhelming, but understanding the process can make a huge difference. If you or someone you care for needs support to live independently at home, here’s a straightforward guide to getting government help in the UK.

Step 1: Assess Your Needs

Start by contacting your local council’s adult social services department. You can find their contact details on the council’s website. Request a needs assessment, which is free and helps determine the level of care you need. This assessment will look at your physical and mental health, daily routine, and any support you currently receive.

Step 2: Financial Assessment

After the needs assessment, the council will conduct a financial assessment to see how much you can afford to contribute towards your care. This means test takes into account your income, savings, and assets. The result will determine if you qualify for full or partial financial support.

Step 3: Developing a Care Plan

If you’re eligible for support, the council will help you create a personalized care plan. This plan details the specific home care services you’ll receive, such as personal care, help with household tasks, and any necessary equipment or adaptations to your home.

Step 4: Choosing Your Care

You can choose to receive direct payments, which give you the flexibility to arrange your own care, or you can have the council arrange services on your behalf. Direct payments allow you to select live-in care providers that best suit your needs.

Additional Financial Support

You might also be eligible for additional benefits to help with care costs, including:

  • Attendance Allowance: For those over state pension age who need personal care.
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP): For individuals under state pension age needing help with daily activities or mobility.
  • Carer’s Allowance: For those who provide at least 35 hours of care per week.

Charitable and Voluntary Organizations

Don’t forget about the support available from charities and voluntary organizations. Many of these groups offer advice, additional support services, and sometimes financial grants. Age UK and Citizens Advice are great places to start.

Getting Started

Here’s what you need to do to get started:

  1. Contact your local council and request a needs assessment.
  2. Prepare for the assessment by gathering information about your health, daily activities, and financial situation.
  3. Follow up with the council to make sure your care plan is implemented and adjusted as needed.

At Dignity Care, we’re here to help you navigate these steps and provide the support you need. Visit our website to learn more about our comprehensive home care services and how we can assist you in living comfortably and safely at home.